Design Create Innovate
by Terry Ricioli
Amate Studios XL Long Rectangle Pendant
Grungeboard(TM), swirl design
Acrylic paint: Americana(R) Bahama Blue
Perfect Pearls (TM) Ranger Industries
Gold Filigree Fan
Copper wire, 20 gauge about 3"
Starfish brad (Barb Tourtillotte for Creative Imaginations)
Micro Glass Beads(TM), gold, Sulyn Industries
Aleene's Paper Glaze
Aleene's Jewel It(R)
Round nose pliers
Tip: As you are working with the Glossy Accents, the layers will look cloudy and will clear up when completely dry. As you work on this project over time, allowing drying between layers, or continue on, start to finish in one sitting. The Glossy Accents take longer to dry the thicker the application.
Altered Brass Heart Pendant with Wings
Designed by: Michael “Jack” Putman
Amate Studios Base Elements GB Heart Pendant
Lead Free Solder
Black Soldering Patina
Water Soluble Flux
Copper Foil Tape (if needed ) Small Watch Parts
UTEE -Clear Baking Tray
Silicone Baking Sheet or Parchment Paper Oven or Melt Pot
Safety Reminder- The fumes produced when soldering can be toxic. Please take care to protect yourself and your art area when soldering and using patina. Make sure you have adequate ventilation.
1. The first step is to clean the surfaces of your heart tray and wings before soldering. Make sure that the pieces to be joined are properly aligned and fit closely together. You can use copper foil tape if this helps to hold the pieces together. Apply tape around joints and burnish well.
2. Apply flux along the joints using a brush.
3. Apply solder to tip of soldering iron. Begin touching the tip of iron and solder to all joints (or seams). Process works best when a good length of solder is held in one hand and pushed against tip of iron and joint with the other. Move the tip of the iron horizontally to the seams working solder evenly into and over all joints. Once joints are equally covered- let cool.
4. Clean your piece with soapy water to remove flux. Towel dry.
5. Solder changes color naturally over time. To create an instant aged look we will use a black patina. Make sure that your project is thoroughly clean. Then lightly apply patina to get desired look with a brush. Wash with soapy water. Let dry.
6. Create a pleasing arrangement of small watch parts inside your heart.
7. Make a small message that will fit in your heart on a piece of paper. Stamp a message using archival ink. Ink sides of your message with “Vintage Photo” Distress Ink to create an aged look and interest.
8. Method #1 -Pre-heat your oven to 340 degrees F or 171 degrees C.
9. Arrange your winged heart on the silicone baking sheet(or parchment paper) on your baking tray. Make sure that you have achieved desired layout within your heart with message and watch parts. Then lightly fill your pendant with clear UTEE. Move carefully so not to disrupt your layout within heart. Its best to start small. You can always add more and reheat to get desired level.
10. Put into oven for about 2-3 minutes. Once UTEE is melted take out and inspect. You can add more UTEE and reheat to reach desired fill.
11. Method #2 -If you have a Ranger Melt Pot you can simply pour and melt. Both methods will get you the same great effect.
12. Let piece cool and then attach to your favorite chain or beaded necklace.